In light of World Sleep Day this Friday March 13, leading PhD sleep scientist, TED resident and LIFX user, Daniel Gartenburg, together with Melbourne-born smart lighting company, LIFX, have unveiled intuitive tips for delivering a healthy dose of forty winks and a regenerative night of sleep.
Some of the main tips Gartenburg suggests include:
1. Receive at least 30-minutes of sunlight exposure each morning to help decrease the flow of melatonin.
2. Limit light at bed time by dimming the lights to create the perception of the sun going down.
3. Implement smart lights to get into the habit of regulating the circadian cycle to fall asleep more naturally, which has a magnitude of benefits.
4. Reduce noise in the bedroom.
5. Create to-do-lists for the next day to stop mind from racing.
6. Use tracking tools to better understand your sleep-wake cycle.
7. Take a hot shower or bath an hour before bed, as high temperatures for prolonged time can help groom you into a deeper sleep.
8. Wake up gradually, as the jolt of an alarm clock can cause chronic stress, flattening the circadian rhythm and making us sleep less deeply.
To further aid the quest for a better night's sleep, BD has rounded up some reputable beauty products that help bridge the gap between sleep, beauty and wellness.
Eco Tools Bamboo Sleep Mask is made with soft bamboo material to ensure a restful sleep. Made with natural materials, this product has a low impact on the earth’s resources.
This pillow mist is formulated to calm the senses and improve sleep. With essential oils to promote relaxation and wellbeing, the 100% natural scent has notes of lavender, bergamot, mandarin, sweet orange and geranium.
Natio focus on sleep is a pure essential oil blend that helps calm the mind for a restful sleep. The blend includes lavender, orange, chamomile and patchouli.
Infused with calming lavender essential oil to help encourage a positive bedtime routine and a peaceful, deep sleep, this delicate room mist is gentle and non-toxic.
Swisse UB Magnesium + Sleep Powder is a sleep powder that helps improve the quality of sleep, while supporting muscle relaxation and calming the nervous system.
Manicare Sleeping Mask is ideal for home and travel, promoting a good night's sleep in pure comfort. It has adjustable straps and is suitable for all head sizes.
This quick-drying mist assists with sleeping problems. It contains a special encapsulation technology that allows bursts of active fragrance to be released at night to aid a better night's rest.
Perfect for when you're in need of some serious relaxation, this jelly bomb has a snoozy formulation of lavender and tonka. Chamomile also calms the skin and the mood while neroli helps you feel uplifted.
Alpha-H Beauty Sleep Power Mist helps skin wake up fresher and brighter, but its blend of lavender, rose and orange essential oils also relax the mind and body, making it perfect for bed time.
Absolute Essential Twinkle Star encourages sweet dreams and restful sleep. The bedtime blend is carefully crafted to encourage the calmness and relaxation necessary for deep sleep.
This smart home light is designed to provide the ideal amount of lighting to help achieve a good night's sleep. It has a range of 16 million colours to choose from, and a cool or warm light, plus it can be dimmed to a brightness that suits individual needs. It is most suited to lamps but can be used anywhere.