There's a new Instagram algorithm in town, and it's going to drastically change how brands and creators use the app.
Instagram has shared that the algorithm will not prioritise content that is visibly recycled from other apps, such as TikTok, as well as low-quality video content, as reported by Later.com.
In particular, the platform has said it will make content with visible watermarks or logos from other apps less discoverable in places like the Reels tab, and will now favour original Reels content instead.
But what type of videos will perform the best? IG confirmed that it’s prioritising “entertaining, funny, and interesting content” in recommended Reels suggestions.
As well as the above, Instagram has said brands and creators should post Reels that:
- Are entertaining and fun (i.e. delights people, grabs their attention, makes them laugh, or has a fun surprise or twist)
- Are inspiring (i.e. starts a trend that others can easily participate in)
- Use creative tools like text, filter, or camera effects
- Uses vertical video
- Use music from the Instagram music library and/or original audio you create or find on Reels
- Are experimental! Try something new, be yourself, and see what works for you
On the flip side, Instagram advises that brands and creators should not post Reels that:
- Are blurry due to low-resolution
- Are visibly recycled from other apps (i.e, contains logos or watermarks)
- Are uploaded with a border around them
- Have the majority of the image covered by text
- Do not meet Instagram’s Community Guidelines
By following these Instagram Reels tips directly from Instagram, you’ll stand a better chance of hacking the algorithm, reaching new audiences, and increasing your follower count.
For more Instagram tips and tricks, follow the IG Creators account here.
Main image: urdesignmag.com