To help gain an insight into the connection between skin and confidence, QV surveyed over 800 Australian women about their honest thoughts on the topic, with a focus on sensitivity.
From the most common skin conditions and how they prefer to get advice on products, to how sensitive skin issues affect confidence in themselves and their children, the report’s findings are very telling of Australian consumers and their current mindset coming out of the pandemic.
Below, we share the interesting facts you need to know about.
Which of the following skin conditions do you suffer from? Dry and sensitive skin is the most common complaint.
- Sensitive skin 64%
- Dry skin 58%
- Eczema 24%
- Dermatitis 20%
- Acne 20%
- Sporadic or frequent rashes 12%
- Psoriasis 11%
- Other 9%
Where do you typically get advice on which over the counter products to use to help with your skin sensitivity/condition? Advice from pharmacists is almost as high as GP’s, and people are turning to online reviews as well.
- General Practitioner 41%
- Pharmacist 40%
- Online reviews/articles 31%
- Family and Friends 28%
- Specialist e.g. Dermatologist 18%
- Beautician/aesthetician 15%
- Other, please specify 9%
- Social media influencers 6%
Which of the following do you look for on the packaging of skincare products you purchase for your face? Key packaging terms are around testing, SPF and fragrance free. Australian made is also important.
- Dermatologically tested 54%
- SPF (sun protection) 50%
- Fragrance Free 45%
- Natural 44%
- Australian made 42%
- Soap Free 34%
- Specific key ingredients 26%
- Organic 22%
- Scientifically formulated 17%
- Non-comedogenic 13%
- Other, please specify 7%
There were also very similar results for products for the body – with Australian made #3 on the list.
Please indicate how much you agree or disagree with the following statements when thinking about your sensitive skin (% that agree or strongly agree): Interestingly, sensitive skin is more likely than a skin condition to impact confidence.
- When my skin doesn’t look its best it impacts my confidence 82%
- My skin sensitivity affects me year round 69%
- My skin sensitivity is triggered by specific events such as stress 66%
- QV products have helped soothe and improve my sensitive skin 66%
- My skin sensitivity is triggered by changes in my skin care 61%
- I spend a lot of money on specific products to manage my sensitive skin 47%
- My skin sensitivity only affects me at certain times of the year based on the seasons 46%
- I spend a lot of time managing my sensitive skin 46%
- I have felt too embarrassed to go out because of my sensitive skin 25%
- I have missed out on social activities because of my sensitive skin 17%
Please indicate how much you agree or disagree with the following statements when thinking about your skin condition (% that agree or strongly agree): There were strong results for the QV confidence statement, but interestingly only a fifth have missed social activities because of a skin condition.
- When my skin doesn’t look its best it impacts my confidence 77%
- My skin condition affects me year round 67%
- My skin condition is triggered by specific events such as stress 67%
- QV products have helped soothe and improve my skin condition 63%
- My skin condition is triggered by changes in my skin care 53%
- I spend a lot of money on specific products to manage my skin condition 50%
- My skin condition only affects me at certain times of the year based on the seasons 48%
- I spend a lot of time managing my skin condition 45%
- I have felt too embarrassed to go out because of my skin condition 26%
- I have missed out on social activities because of my skin condition 19%
Please indicate how much you agree or disagree with the following statements when thinking about your child’s (aged 0-12) sensitive skin (% agree or strongly agree): Again, there were very solid results for the QV product statements and an opportunity for providing advice to help mums.
- My child’s skin sensitivity is triggered by specific events such as stress, chemicals, water temperature, weather etc. 83%
- When my child’s skin is feeling sensitive they are less happy and more irritable/sad 77%
- I wish there was clear advice on what I can do to help my child’s sensitive skin 77%
- Using QV makes me feel in control of my child’s sensitive skin 74%
- QV products have helped soothe and improve my child’s sensitive skin 73%
- When my child’s skin is feeling sensitive their sleep is disturbed and this impacts their mood and concentration levels 63%
- Using QV makes my child feel more confident 63%
- I feel concerned or anxious about managing my child’s sensitive skin 62%
- It has been an anxious journey to find the right products to manage my child’s sensitive skin 62%
- When my child has a flare up or rash it impacts our daily life (e.g. clothes they can wear, bath routine etc.) 60%
- When my child’s skin is feeling sensitive they feel self-conscious and embarrassed 57%
- When my child’s skin is feeling sensitive it impacts the whole family 55%
- When my child’s skin is feeling sensitive I feel like the skincare products I’m using on them are no longer working 52%
- When my child’s skin is feeling sensitive I feel like I’m failing as a parent 47%
- I have felt embarrassed because of how my child’s skin looks 34%
- My child has missed out on activities due to their sensitive skin 34%
Top QV product picks:
While we are all familiar with the use of moisturisers when managing eczema, many are cosmetics typically designed for normal, healthy looking skin – the QV Dermcare Eczema Daily range is a new therapeutic range that has been tested on Australians with medically-diagnosed moderate eczema.#*
QV Dermcare Eczema Daily range includes a cleanser and a moisturiser scientifically formulated with a combination of ingredients including moistuirsers to help improve skin hydration, ceramides to help support the skin’s natural barrier, nicainamide to help improve skin’s dryness, plus more. With everything combined, the range improves skin hydration, reduces water loss and even helps reduce itch & dry skin.# It offers a daily approach in the management of eczema, helping to repair the skin barrier, minimising skin irritation and keeping vital moisture in.
#Spada F et al. Dermatol Ther 2021;34(4):e14970. (n=100) Study sponsored by Ego Pharmaceuticals Pty Ltd. *QV Dermcare Eczema Daily has been clinically tested on people 18 years and above.
QV Flare Up Bath Oil is a dual-action antibacterial bath moisturiser and cleanser in one - that helps to control and relieve the symptoms of mild atopic eczema. The antibacterial ingredients help reduce the level of bacteria on the skin, whilst the moisturizers form an emollient film to help prevent moisture loss and maintain skin hydration.
QV Intensive Cream is a moisturiser that is suitable for extremely dry skin. The highly concentrated, triple moisturising formula hydrates dry skin for up to 24 hours and is suitable for use with eczema, dermatitis and psoriasis. It contains a high percentage of moisturising ingredients and is free of preservative, fragrance, lanolin, propylene glycol and colour.
Always read the label. Follow the directions for use. If symptoms persist, worsen or change unexpectedly, talk to your health professional.